Sunday, June 15, 2008


Del-Air guest attendee, Richard Leyton, asks:

I am looking forward to going on the Mt. Gleason field trip on June 21st. The bulletin says to bring light digging tools. What does that mean? A prospector's pick? A gardening trowel? A 6 foot shovel? A full size pick ax?

Thanks, Richard Leyton

'Because You Asked' answers:

Light digging tools would refer to rock hammers, chisels, small garden trowels, crow bars etc. Basically hand sized tools. Also a spray bottle filled with ordinary water to spritz down your specimens to better identify what you are bringing home. Bring a pair of safety goggles to protect your eyes when hammering rocks. I carry one of each of these hand sized tools in a canvas tote bag with handles whenever I go rock hounding. The bag is large enough to hold the rocks I want to bring back as well. A heavy duty back-pack would work too.

Heavy digging tools would refer to full size pick-axes, sledge hammers, full size shovels and industrial size pry bars. These, however, are much more unwieldy and are difficult to lug around especially whens it really hot.

Don't forget to bring food and plenty of drinking water so you stay hydrated. Watch out for snakes and keep an emergency first aid kit in the car.

I hope this answers your question and provides you with a few tips as well.

Till next time...........Happy Rock Hounding!!!